What is Google Analytics Asynchronous Tracking?
Why Should You Use Asynchronous Tracking Code?
Another huge benefit is more complete visitor tracking. Properly installed Google Analytics tracking code allows it to load sooner while the page is loading, which can count visitors that may click away before the page is fully loaded. This can be particularly helpful on large, media-intensive web pages and/or tracking visitors with slow internet speeds.
We ran speed tests on our own home page, averaged over 5 tests and found using the asynchronous tracking code reduced page loading speed by about 1/4 second (246 milliseconds). This is beneficial for both site visitors and search engine optimization since Google considers page loading speed as a factor in search rankings.
How to Implement GA Asynchronous Tracking Code:
Installing the asynchronous tracking code can be as easy as copying & pasting, but accurate implementation is a must. These basic instructions assume you have a Google Analytics account; if not, you can set up a free account here.
- Remove the existing traditional Google Analytics tracking code, if applicable.
- If your GA tracking code has been customized, save a copy of your code to migrate customizations into the new version.
- Add your Google Analytics web property ID number to the asynchronous tracking code snippet.
- Customize the new tracking code snippet, if applicable.
- Load the updated page and check your HTML code to ensure the new tracking code is placed properly.
- Check your Google Analytics reports the next day to verify site visitors are being reported as expected.
Below are two screen capture images showing the traditional vs. asynchronous tracking code. In practice you would replace the “xxxxx-x” with your web property ID number provided by Google Analytics.
Traditional Google Analytics tracking code example:
Asynchronous Google Analytics tracking code example:
Are you interested in Google Analytics consultation, setup guidance and reporting? We have experienced, full-time Google Analytics certified staff ready to help! Contact us today to discuss your web marketing needs and receive a free proposal.
Web Ad.vantage is a full-service online marketing company with core competencies in search engine optimization, PPC Campaign Management and online media buying. Visit our Internet Marketing Services section to learn more about our full range of services.
WebAdvantage.net encourages the reprinting of our marketing tips and articles. Before doing so, however, please contact us at for permission to do so. The company bio located above is required to accompany any reprint. Thank you in advance for your professional courtesy.
Pragmatic, professional advice with no hidden agenda.
Internet Business Forum